Matt’s Civil Litigation focuses primarily on “quasi”-criminal matters involving civil fraud (e.g., partnership misconduct), conversion (i.e., theft), defamation, and mishandling of intellectual property. However, he has also handled a variety of more commonplace civil claims. Following is a brief description of common civil claims Matt has been involved with including cases where he:
- Served as special litigation counsel for a major property management firm challenged by several tenants’ rights organizations to its proposed purchase of multiple low-income housing projects and helped negotiate a settlement with the tenants’ organizations that allowed the client to complete its purchase of the properties.
- Secured the prompt dismissal of an action for negligence against a corporation providing bill paying services.
- Defended a correctional officer against civil claims for violating the constitutional rights of prison inmates. Obtained the dismissal of the actions against the officer.
- Served as local counsel for a national apparel manufacturer in an action against the company for declaratory relief that threatened the company’s right to exclusive control of its website. The action was dismissed promptly on jurisdictional grounds.
- Represented an insurance brokerage firm against claims of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.
[DISCLAIMER: Every case is different and these past successes are no indication that the same results will be achieved in any future case.]